The SASH Programme supported Sonke Gender Justice in its ICASA satellite session on the gender gap in access to antiretroviral therapy. The session was a huge success and featured panelists talking about challenges and opportunities around getting men involved in HIV and Health Services. Many of the 200-250 people who attended were wearing the MIND THE GAP (“To Get To Zero, We Must Also Get To Men”) t-shirts that were a visual part of ICASA in Cape Town. Prof. Sheila Tlou of UNAIDS was one of the panelists, and a vibrant discussion with the audience and media present followed.
- Dr. Christopher J. Colvin, Senior Research Officer, School of Public Health and Family Medicine, University of Cape Town
- Bafana Khumalo, Senior Programmes Specialist and Co-Founder, Sonke Gender Justice, Men’s Sector Chair, South African National AIDS Council (SANAC)
- Mmapaseka Steve Letsike, Deputy Chairperson, SANAC
- Phumzile Nwyagi, Senior Trainer, Sonke Gender Justice
- Michael Onyango, Executive Director, Movement for Men Against AIDS in Kenya (MMAAK)
- Prof. Sheila Tlou, Director Regional Support Team – East and Southern Africa, UNAIDS